Our Church

 Anglican Church of the Epiphany

The history of the Anglican Church of the Epiphany in Rimbey is a most exciting and eventful one to recount. It is a history of many faithful people worshipping, working, caring for and supporting one another with the type of happiness that grows within a real Christian family.

In the early nineteen hundreds settlers started to come into this area to take up farms and homesteads. By 1907 there were a lot of Anglican families scattered around the district, so they decided to build a church as religion played a great part in their lives. They contacted Bishop Pinkham, the Bishop of the Calgary Diocese and were informed that grants were available to build churches. The initial grant to Rimbey would have named the church, "St. Ninian, the Apostle of Galway".

An English gentleman donated the money to build a church in memory of his wife. He stipulated that it must be made of native wood and the logs were to be placed in an upright position rather than the usual lengthwise position. The body of the church was built of logs that were twenty feet by thirty-six feet long. The chancel was built of native lumber that were twelve feet by six feet long. There was a small vestry built to the south. At the entrance to the church was a vestibule and bell tower that was from an old school from London England.

Mr. Ben Rimbey donated the land on which the church was to be built. He being a carpenter by trade, was made foreman of the job. Mr. Bob Woolgar, a stonemason who lived between Rimbey and Bentley, put in the foundation, and Mr. R. White donated the gravel. The logs were donated by Mr. Bill Williams. They were hauled with horses from his place west of the river, by members of the church. Some of the men who helped were Mr. Frank Symonds, Mr. Ken Wates, and Mr. Frank Richards. Mr. William Connors a local blacksmith made the iron cross that stands on top of the church.

The furnishings for the interior of the church were all hand made from native wood, except for the chairs and organ. A wood heater warmed the church on cold winter days. The church was completed in 1908 and dedicated in early 1909 and given the name, Church of the Epiphany.

 The church served its congregation well over the years but it was evident that a new and larger church was needed. With the help from generous donations from such parishioners such as Mrs. Ada Browne, Mr. Cotton, The parents of Donovan Duke, Audrey Cotton and the Rev George Major a new church was constructed. The church basement was finished so it could be used for Sunday school and social gatherings and a piano was purchased by Mr. Spencer Muddle on behalf of the congregation.

A short time later, Mr. Peter Chubb gave a generous cash donation and the mortgage was burned. On September 10, 1961 the new church was consecrated. The old log church, now empty was moved to Pas-Ka-Poo Park where it stands today. Many people visit the park each year and admire its faded stained glass windows, and the natural beauty of the building itself. The church is still used for special services. In 1978 a new rectory was built and a cast iron and zinc bell were donated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Zouboules. The first Anglican Church of the Epiphany was completed in 1908 and served the people of Rimbey for many years. The new Church was built on the present site and completed in1961. The old log church was then moved to Pas-Ka-poo Park where it stands today. It is still used for special services.


Our Services